Building and growing a hairdressing career or owning a salon/spa can be daunting. Balancing your personal, professional and financial development can cause a series of peaks and balances which can easily lead to feeling a major burnout.
In trying to seek a better life for ourselves and our families, we sometimes run into road blocks or just suffer from burnout from time to time. Owning your own salon can be extremely challenging. Some handle burnout better than others, but everyone will need to meet the challenge of overcoming burnout for their salon to succeed.
The following guidelines will help you renew your passion and continue overcoming burnout.
- Read a Motivational Book — or just a good book for a change of pace. Reading educational books was always a great way to build self confidence in myself. I firmly believe the more you learn the more you earn. Whether you read motivational, educational books, self help books or just a good novel, giving your brain a break through reading will help you combat burnout.
- Exercise — go for a bike ride or take a nice long walk. Exercise will give you the fuel and energy we all need in helping us overcome the many anxieties of life. I personally am a jogger, it is exhilarating and gives me a chance to get outside and inhale some fresh air before getting back to work.
- Eat Healthy — good health begins with a healthy diet. When you’re under stress, many people take refuge in eating either too much or eating bad food. When you look good and feel good about yourself, you’ll regain your passion for self improvement. Without good health, all your hard work and success will be for nothing. You gotta take care of yourself.
- Go to a movie — do something a little different or out of the ordinary. Maybe a good play or concert will help you get your mind off of work. I love the movies, and recommend going to see something fun to help with your day.
- Enjoy Your Family— if you’re a mother or a father; take your kids to the zoo or on a picnic. Your challenge is to find a balance between work and family.
- Spoil Yourself — maybe a smoothing massage or facial, or a day all to yourself for meditation and relaxation.
- Get Away — whether by yourself or with a loved one, perhaps an overnight stay at a popular resort. Plan a weekend vacation, leave on Friday and come home Sunday afternoon. A little change in scenery helps a lot when it comes to overcoming burnout and stress.
Following these guidelines will help you develop your own self management system that will help you overcome and meet the heavy challenges of your job, your personal life, and your financial future. Overcoming burnout from time to time is merely a signal that you need to take a break. Just like your customers who are coming in to feel good, make sure you take care of yourself in order to continue succeeded both personally and professionally.